I’m starting to plan Thanksgiving. It’s my favorite holiday. It is a calm, peaceful day spent in the kitchen making my favorite foods. I am going to make:
- Whipped butternut squash. I roast it year-round but am going to whip it to creamy consistency for Thanksgiving.
- Classic green bean casserole. I haven’t had this since my grandmother passed away. I love it so, this year, I’m going to make it. (Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup, French’s fried onion rings and string beans.) Yum.
- Herb stuffing (bread, onions, celery, sage/thyme, butter).
- Cranberry sauce (fresh cranberries and orange juice).
- Popovers. I make these every year. I am an excellent popover maker. Also, a childhood favorite.
- Pecan pie with vanilla ice cream. I’m making a shortbread crust for the pie because I can’t make a decent pie crust. We’ll see how it does – my shortbread crust is good just don’t know how it will work with the pecan filling. Even if it falls apart it should taste good.
I’m not a vegetarian but I don’t eat turkey on Thanksgiving because I’ve known some turkeys and I like them. Thanksgiving is excellent without one.
The morning after Thanksgiving I make gingerbread pancakes with maple syrup (dark amber). For me, that marks the end of fall and start of winter.
Just love it.